CONTROLLED FLOW SUCKLING FOR NATURALLY HEALTHY CALVES
The breeding of heifer calves as future dairy cows represents a major investment and must be successfully mastered. Success is achieved in the first 14 days of calves feeding and requires controlled flow suckling. Nothing forced, nothing synthetic, nothing automatic, just the natural need to suckle for a long time to ensure better digestion.
Health problems and weight gain of the calf can be caused by bacterial or viral causes, lack of colostrum early from birth and in sufficient quantities, lack of ventilation, poor sanitization ... However, the vast majority of scours in calves and cough are the result of nutritional problems and are preventable.
MOST COMMON CAUSES OF CALVES DIARRHEA AND COUGH :
- Calf suckling too quickly is the cause for most cases of calves scours.
- Milk enters the throat and curds too quickly.
- The esophageal gutter does not have time to close.
- Overflow of milk in the rumen and/or in the lungs.
Calf diarrhea and damage to the rumen for its whole life.
Dry cough of calves often causing pneumonia (pneumonia=antibiotics=extra fees).
NATURAL TREATMENT FOR CALVES SCOURS AND COUGHING PROBLEMS
- Feed your animal with controlled flow teats (4 to 5 minutes/1 liter).
- Adjust the teats to the right height (24 to 26 inches from the floor).
WHY DOES IT WORK?
The controlled flow calf teat reproduces the nature of suckling (pressure/suction) and the natural position of the calf favors the closure of the esophageal gutter.
The slow ingestion of milk creates abundant saliva filled with enzymes, which helps balance the PH. The duration of the feeding meets the natural need of calves to suckle.
BENEFITS OF CONTROLLED FLOW CALF SUCKLING
- Significant decrease in diarrhea.
- Significant decrease in calf coughing causing pneumonia.
- Increased weight gain.
- Decrease in antibiotic treatments.
- Better overall calf health.
- Significant decrease in unwanted cross-suckling.
To find the nearest retailer, contact Patrick at [email protected]
To learn more, download the complete guide for calves suckling here.
To see our full range of Milk Bar controlled flow feeders, bottles and nipples, click here.
If you experience problems in your nursery, our technical specialist Bernard Dion, will be happy to meet you. [email protected]